CRA Compliance

Part of being good stewards with our finances is making sure that we are in compliance with the rules and regulations that Canada Revenue Agency has laid out. Below are some CRA forms and articles regarding some common CRA requirements and benefits to help you. If you have any questions regarding the specifics of CRA regulations, please visit their website.


The Church As A Canadian Registered Charity

Cra_pic Churches would register for charitable status with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the major purpose of advancing religion. A Canadian charity must file an annual report, T3010, to maintain charitable status. Official Donation receipts must be issued to donors. Churches may also claim a rebate on GST/HST.

Church Payroll Checkup

Payroll-file-sm Recognizing that employment legislation varies from province to province and that sometimes there are no standard answers, I would like to share some general information for you to think about as you pay individuals involved in the ministry of your church.

Clergy Residence Deduction

Moneyhouse A person who is employed as a member of the clergy may be entitled to claim a clergy residence deduction in respect of his residence when calculating the income from that employment.

The Importance of Registering Your Charity

Looniedollar_blend Churches need to know the importance of registering as a charity.

Official Donation Receipts

Donation-receipts Your church as a registered charity can issue official donation receipts to donors. There are a number of requirements that are dealt with in this section.

Gifts to Your Church

Canadian_money How does Canada Revenue Agency define gift? What are "gifts-in-kind? What about gifts that are designated by the donor?

Registering Your Church for Charitable Status

Cra Your church will need to register with Canada Revenue Agency for charitable status in order to issue official tax donation receipts.

Registered Charity Information Return

Canada_flag Registered charities are required to complete and file an annual information return no later than six months from their fiscal year end.

GST & Your Church

Gst-hst As a charity, your church may be able to claim a rebate to recover the GST/HST you paid on certain goods and services.